Friday, January 11, 2008

Daddy's Arms


Well as I sit and write this entry, I am praying that I did not catch my daughters illness. This past Tuesday evening, Eliana and I were down visiting my friend Chris Cinnamon and his young son, while my wife Erin hosted a baby shower in our home. I had noticed that Eliana had not been feeling well, but she was still in good spirits. Within moments of sitting down at the table to share an incredible bowl of chili and grilled cheese sandwich, Eliana walked over and exploded all over the carpet and couch. This was a great display of projectile vomit. WOW! I had no idea a little girl her size could manage such volume. Needless to say it was a prolonged evening. The highlight of the evening was me holding Eliana in the shower as she continued to expel any remnants of what remained in her little belly. I tried to comfort her by saying "It's was going to be okay" and "just let it go". For the last several days I have continued to think about how God gives us glimpses of Himself and the relationship he longs to have with us. As I have thought about that moment, my mind has continued to drift back to the evening that I confessed my sin to God and vowed to make Christ the Lord and Savior of my life. That was a moment that in a metaphor, God held me and allowed me to cast all my sin/vomit upon Him. It was as though he were replaying, "Let it go...that's why my Son died for You". My relationship with the Heavenly Father continues to show me the kind of dad I want to be. You see, just has I longed to hold my child at her lowest point, God longs to hold His children in our lowest. The truth is that we are all sick apart from God. Gods arms are open to all of us, may we not fear casting our sin/vomit upon Him.

No comments: