Monday, January 28, 2008

Above And Beyond...

As I look around me I am continually blown away with the people God has allowed me to serve with. I see the gifts and talents that God has given these men and women and the many ways that they respond with complete selflessness. I could mention many individuals just from the group of men and women that I have had the tremendous honor and pleasure to serve and work along side of each week through the weekly tasks at the Journey Church. Yet, today one man comes to mind. As many of you know, it takes many of us each week to set up the many elements needed for our weekly service. When just one person is out, that absence is felt by all. Two Sunday's ago, my friend had made it know that unfortunately he would be unable to attend the service that night because he had to catch a plane flight on work related means. Now if this was me (just being honest), I would have used this as my weekend to finally have a break from the tedious Sunday setup tasks. However, when I arrived 2 Sundays ago, he was there to help. When I questioned him, he responded, "I knew you guys would be a few guys down...and hey, that's what it's all about." Although I kept working, those words have stayed with me all week. "Hey, that's what it's all about." The heart that thinks beyond self, thinking of the other. I mean WOW! Well as though that were not enough, as we were breaking down last night I remembered that my friends father had just come in town to visit. Visits are far and few between so I knew how much he longed to be at his home with his family. I tried multiple times, in some manner almost wanting to physically remove him, but he insisted, "You need help tonight and hey, that's what it's all about." DANG! Twice now. The truth is, this heart and attitude is an example of the many that I get to serve with each week and it challenges me daily. I want to say thank you to my friend whom God has used to remind me to continually think of others beyond myself. John Mills you set the bar!

No comments: